Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How do you complete a puzzle when you purchased the last one and some of the pieces are missing?


The answer is... YOU DON'T.

Many years ago, in the midst of my own divorce, I read a fantastic book that spoke to something I needed to understand. The book wasn't a stellar representation of world class writing worthy of the Oprah book club. But it did exactly what it needed to do and explored a simple point: Forget what your math teacher taught you. Two halves don't make a whole. Not in the land of relationships.

In fact, two halves make a hot mess. The blind leading the blind. A train wreck waiting to happen.

I couldn't resist sharing this thought after catching this gem over at Getting Past Your Past:

"When damaged people marry, they begin to resent their partner for not making them whole. – Robin Norwood

From the movie “Jerry McGuire” came the phrase “you complete me.” But, the truth of the matter is that no other person can complete us when we are incomplete and damaged and have not dealt with that damage.

We cannot leave to someone else, the work that is our own.

We cannot rush into relationships hoping to keep our mind off the fact that we are damaged or need more to be complete. We will never find that completeness through another person or a relationship or a job or a situation." Read the entire post [here.] It's worth the read...


I literally took 3 years off after my divorce. No dating. Not even a little bit. Not even physical contact and certainly not sex. In fact, I ate lunch with a male coworker twice towards the end of those three years. That was the closest I came to bothering with idea of dating.

I was on a mission to discover what "whole" meant. I found out, and I liked how it felt. I freed myself from the notion that "whole" meant "perfect" - and thankfully so - because "perfect" is relative and otherwise not attainable. "Whole" comes down to experiencing true, deep, and sincere satisfaction with who you are as a person (inside) aside from any dissatisfaction with things that objectify you (such as weight, hair color - because those things don't define your human value.)

As I told one of my bestest bestest girlfriends yesterday, I learned how to say "I'm proud of myself" without feeling guilty.

"You know what. I used to think it was bad to say. But I am proud of myself... not for being the creator of my essence, but for accepting the essence that the Creator gave me."
His Side was the person who ended my 3-year strike. In fact, we met almost 3 years to the exact day that my ex-husband walked out of our home and into the sunset - well - the sunset of his mistress' tits. hehe But anyway ...

More and more often, I find myself reminding His Side that I am not responsible for making him whole. Because more and more I see him setting me up as the punching bag for his fears and insecurities. The moment he feels fear or gets insecure about something, I can confidently predict he is about to find a petty flaw to lay into me about. If you're having a personal meltdown because I left a closet door open in a rush to secure some TP for a bathroom emergency, you need to make an adjustment buddy.

But the truth is, I don't believe much in coincidence. While I am nobody's savior, I know my trials and tribulations make me an effective vessel for understanding and helping those struggling with the same.

Without going into detail or starting another post, His Side will have an opportunity to chase his wholeness without offering me up as a sacrifice to the Gods of Broken Spirits. God I love that man. Like any other intervention, sometimes you have to offer a kind of help that isn't wanted... especially when it's time to spare your own health and sanity as a borderline accomplice named Enabler.

4 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Good story! I don't know what to call these things ... posts, entries, but this was a good one.

I was talking with the SFC, and we both agreed that it wasn't about two broken people making one relationship, but that all the ingredients themselves making one whole and delicious relationship, like a cake.

Something like that. Anyway, good goat thinking going on here!

Blu Jewel said...

*exhales a huge sigh*

A week ago to the day, I engaged in a 5hr conversation with someone I've known for 14yrs. Over the course of our knowing each other, there were details missing; the proverbial incomplete puzzle.

During said conversation, revelations were made and I in fact cited many of the things to him that were posted in the blog you referenced. All too often we're sold the fairy tale, which always end with boy gets girl and they live happily every after, which is shullbit to the fullest. When Jerry MaGuire came out, everyone got caught up in the hype of his statement, "you.complete.me", which is bullcocky magnified to catastrophic proportions. All the broken people started doing the happy dance and using that crock of crap to fill in the gaps of what they were missing within.

Hurt people; hurt people and until that hurt is fixed, they'll continue to hurt not just others, but themselves in seeking what they think is the 'perfect' relationship/person. Furthermore, finding someone to complete you; depletes the person who's whole and starts putting them in the deficit of emotional, mental, and even physical stability as they're constantly tapping into their wellspring to sustain the other. This my friends is a disaster of titanic proportions. Resentment and bitterness ensues, root problems aren't address; instead the branches are cut off in an effort to 'fix' things. Branches do often grow back.

After my own progressive transition from being Humpty Dumpty to being a Faberge egg, I realized that I am and can only be responsible for my well being. I am not, can not, and will not be anyone's cruth, hole filler, or enabler. I'd rather walk away from what could presumably be the best thing that could happen to me, if I have to compromise myself. Making excuses for someone's behaviour doesn't help them or you; it in fact gives rise to bitterness, contempt, and ultimately resent.

Going back to my friend...My love for him is strong, desired, and I very much want him for my own as we have all the pieces to make the puzzle; however, he needs a little more time in the emotional oven before he can handle me. I'm fully cooked and ready for the dinner table, while he's still a little pink in the middle. I'm committed to being his friend, an ear, a shoulder, and most importantly and honest voice. My love for him will not supercede my love for myself and I certainly won't allow myself to be deluded by "you.complete.me" no matter how well suited we seem to be.

Okay, so I just need to take this comment and make it my own blog...lol!

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

What an amazingly insightful post. Those 3 years served you well.

I am a big believer of personal excavation of one's heart and mind. Who are you and what do you want? That's where it begins for me. When I am tripped up I ask those 2 questions and that always brings me back to reality.

I especially took to heart this part of your post:
"More and more often, I find myself reminding His Side that I am not responsible for making him whole. Because more and more I see him setting me up as the punching bag for his fears and insecurities. The moment he feels fear or gets insecure about something, I can confidently predict he is about to find a petty flaw to lay into me about".

It jumped at me because I know what this is...I've seen and had it directed at me. I like you cannot work magic (except to my kids who think I am Queen of everything) But seriously, I am leting go of someone for this very reason. We are not in a romance...although I did have a huge crush on him. He has alot of mess to contend with and paints everyone with the same brush he dipped from "her" He is stuck and I can't un-stuck nobody.

We all have our work...if we are willing. You can't get to love without doing the inner work.

Now who's hijacking who's blog today :) LOL! Sorry for the dissertation :)

Her Side said...

Mark:
Thanks for stopping by! After I'm done here, I am headed over to The Breakup Diaries 'cause brutha man needs some HELP. lol

Blu:
What would I do without a girlfriend like you. "Hurt people hurt people." You stated one of the main purposes of this blog. The scars and wounds we receive in life often leave us bitter enough to continue the cycle. (I really shouldn't say "us," because right now, it doesn't look like anybody else in this comment conversation fits that bill. lol)

Lovebabz:
Whenever you walk into my humble blog, I always feel like I own a small boutique and Oprah just walked in to shop. The guru of learning to love via wholeness is in da room!

(And when will you and Blu learn that I love to have my blog hijacked? hehe)

Anyway, I was determined for those three years to serve me well. I refused to (and still do) live through any kind of trauma and learn nothing from it.

"[He] paints everyone with the same brush he dipped from "her"

Yes yes! And those in the throes of such poor painting don't realize how much they're limiting their own wholeness (whether painting from the same brush of a romantic relationship or other negative experiences with people).

urcg42jm3k