Friday, August 19, 2011

Under the wheels and into the rearview mirror goes HisSide in my mind...



Don't shop when you're hungry. You may buy too much.

Don't blog when you're angry. You may say too much.

FUCK IT.

Under the wheels and into the rearview mirror goes HisSide in my mind. I'd only consider hitting reverse to hear that "THUD" one more time...

I am tired, sleep-deprived, hurt, and angry. My exterior says I have this cocktail of negative emotions under control because my pressure-cook valve isn't at critical mass. I suspect my calm represents more emotional exhaustion than some enlightened state of "letting it go."

Last night, in an epic failure of manhood and maturity, HisSide erupted into an absolute meltdown after his ex-wife stole some money from him. She ran off into the night, leaving me the blindsided convenient target for HisSide's unchecked, unattended, and totally unhinged emotional ANGER.

Yelling in my face with spit flying. Balled fists. Threats of smacking me. Screaming "stupid," "idiot," in my face. The tirade was so long, so unprovoked, so surprising, and so BITTER, that I eventually cried. To which he responded, "You can save that act for somebody else."

You see, I learned to time these things with HisSide. I knew when it was coming. But this one hurt like no other. I paid the train fee and provided the transportation to meet her to split the check from the sale of their old home. I gave him the last change in my pocket so he could eat in the train station while he was there. I listened to his hurt as he described the way she gave him less than his half and literally RAN from the bank with the man she cheated with years ago during the marriage. I met him at the train, hugged him, rubbed his back as pain and anger took turns flashing through his confused mind. "I never thought she would do that to me." I played his favorite computer game with him when he wanted to take his mind off things. And I did my best to absorb the blow when the tirade against me started. Until enough was enough.

I don't want to get too sidetracked, but I had her number AGES ago. This is the same ex-wife who gave it to him up his ass five years ago when she scammed him into living in their old house rent free. I offered to draft a lease for him. I warned him he was placing himself in a precarious position. End result: She never paid a dime and the city took the house for a tax lien. I knew from their phone conversations she was a trickster. Strike one.

Fast forward five years later, the city finally sold the house and sent the check for the profit after the lien was resolved. "Don't trust her to give you your half. Get that check here and send her half to her. Not the other way around."

"But she would never do that."

"She fucked you on that house in the first place."

I was right, but somehow I paid the price for his folly.

HisSide is the only person ON. THIS. PLANET. to ever treat me this way, and yesterday was one of the lowest points of my life. Although I parted romantic ways with him over two years ago, I don't want to believe he has the capacity to treat me with such horror. But we've been here before, so why am I so hurt? I already know who he is, when he isn't the man I fell in love with. He's an inexcusable monster who I spent too long making excuses for.

How did I get here?

He screamed that he KNOWS I found somebody else since I broke up with him 2 years ago - an accusation he hurls when his Emotional IQ drops to Infancy. He's only half right. Although there isn't another man, I am open to dating and placing myself in a position to give love and get what I deserve in return. (Anyway, how stupid do you have to be to believe that screaming at a woman would make her want you back, anyway? Asshole.)

Is this what some people call the process of "falling out of love?" Nah. I don't believe that. I love HisSide as much as I did 4 years ago. To me, this is a process of placing the love for myself above any hopes that he'll grow up and grow a pair. I see how abused women get caught in a cycle. They skip this last important step and neglect to show their jerk THE DOOR. Love ain't they key. The key is RECIPROCITY! And I reminded HisSide that the doorknob needs to connect with his his ass ASAP.

I learned all I needed to learn about inviting madness and giving it a warm place to call home. I am remarkably thankful for the lesson HisSide represents in my life, primarily because I'll deeply appreciate the future joy of loving and getting a little tenderness in return.

3 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

because I'll deeply appreciate the future joy of loving and getting a little tenderness in return.

Sugar, as much as I would like to give you advice and leave an 'atta girl' comment, I can't. Nope, can't do it and I am really trying...

Ooh, why'd I clip that quote at the end..? Because for a brother like me, that is the refrain I hear from people who merely THINK they know how to love but are still only GUESSIN'...

Now a brother like Mark only has theories BUT by actual definition, a theory is only thismuch removed from certainty... theory is much more related to the word 'verified' than it is 'unsure'. And see I am upset because 1) You have SO MUCH TO OFFER. Now I use sports anologies and you are like Chris Johnson, the Tennessee Titan hold out who has WAY OVER PERFORMED his current contract and wants to get paid Peyton Manning money ... as opposed to being the highest paid running back...


not going to bog you down with the minutiae but there is a difference. Should he get it or deserve it isn't the point... but he is doing what he feels he should to get what he deserve.

Did you do what you felt you had to do in order to get what you deserve..? I am telling you that you didn't because you already KNEW before you LEFT this cat he was not the one... so spare me the 'this and that' to him... when has his antics EVER passed the 'if I were you and you were me' test, you know, where he did some crap and you tell him, if I were you and you were me, what would you do?

However many years you put up with that, fine, you did. Split up with him and you still remain friends (ooh, trying sooo very hard not to channel my inner Alec Baldwin and go all 'Glengarry Glenross' up in here!!) even though you have VERIFIED (see, previous to that you had the data to form a valid 'theory' but apparently you needed more real life experiments to re-confirm your findings!)

Your girlfriend can let you rant and rave... I am a dude who thinks the world of you and find you beautiful physically, spiritually, and intellectually. I am NOT going to let you short yourself.!!

Just like the poonanny, the cock-o-doodle doo is NOT that good ..! You know why I don't tell someone that they got the best stuff ever? Because it isn't worth ANYTHING on the Stock exchange as a freakin' commodity, that's why! And all this 'attraction', how much of it centered around the physical connection..?

Shee--oot! You are TOO MATURE for this crap! And I am not going to let you play yourself out and say it is all on him. What is his problem anyway? I finally mentioned Mookie Dee in passing today because I DON'T GIVE A F*CK about her. Do I wish her ill? No, I hope she's gone forth and bloomed. But really, why would I be attached to someone who disrespect me, took advantage of me and failed when she could have supported me..?

From my understanding, you know the tune to that song as well. I can't stomach, at least not at this time, your co-dependent fantasy defense of him and your relationship over the past for years... no, I am not local so I can't explain why you haven't found more bowl-eligible cats to vie for your heart and replace His Side... but I am thinking that even if I were, you wouldn't give a cat like me a shot cause I would not bring that 'spice' to the dish that you are accustomed (did someone say 'addicted'?) to.

Girl... ooh..! See, I am mad (yes, MAD.!!) because I could not PAY a woman to give me support when I had more going for me ... and it makes me green with envy that such a beautiful woman CHOSE to go out with a cat who they KNEW wasn't even capable much less wanting to really be the 'yin' to the 'yang' of their life...

...dag..!

Her Side said...

Mark, I'm loving this response! It's raw and honest and catches the important point that I have responsibility in this. So true, and I really want to address that in a thoughtful response. I don't believe one person can break a heart, ruin a life, or destroy a relationship. The other must contribute, be complicit, be an enabler, be in denial... or SOMETHING! I may have to address that point in a whole blog post, because "woe is me" can't be the end of the story, and it sure ain't the end of mine.

Love it when you stop by. See you in Vegas? ;-)

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Who are you? and What do you WANT?

When you are ready to step into the life you were meant for, you will leave this drama alone. For whatever reasons know only to you, you feel you deserve this drama. You are getting something out of it. You are not deserting him if you stop being his friend. You are not failing him by leaving him totally alone.

You are failing YOU. You are deserting YOU.

Who are you? What do you WANT? And what are you willing to do to live the life of your dreams?

Find some space to ask the necessary questions...you already have the answers. Now live the answers

Who are you? What do you WANT?

urcg42jm3k