Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mothers and Daughters: One relapse and recovery at a time.




For sanity's sake, I accepted the wisdom and spiritual guidance that I can't, shouldn't, and simply won't concern myself with trying to change another human being. I have my hands full with ME, so why partake in the silliness of believing I know enough to adjust somebody else's behavior. Aside from solicited advice and addressing outright abuse, I value my peace over misguided control.

My readers already know how I was slow to accept this reality in dealing with my mother. I took long... too long... in deciding it was more important to adjust myself than holding high expectations of what she needed to do to improve our relationship. That was the best decision I ever made.

Today, on top of a series of personal dilemmas with my job, my health, and other nuisances that life can bring, I almost relapsed like an alcoholic trying to socialize in a bar.

My 12-year old gave me a long and frustrating story of a verbal tirade about me earlier today - from calling me a liar, to once again, complaining about His Side's presence in my life. She lured my father and both of my sons into the fray. My body betrayed me as I felt despair, anger, and frustration wash over me. Heat pricked my entire body. My eyes stung with angry tears. I stewed in the car as I drove towards home, wondering why she picked this time in our relationship to attack again - and have the nerve to be WRONG. We just took a beautiful family trip together. Where is this coming from?

Apparently, my ex-husband didn't take my son birthday shopping during a recent visit. He was keeping my son because I was invited to an engagement late in the evening. Somehow that made me a liar about why my son was visiting his father.

But something happened during that ride. I can only describe it as a "calm resolve" resulting in a deep desire to remain free from the paralyzing emotion I used to feel when her own spite and control issues got the best of her.

I walked into the house and cradled the phone in my hand. I looked at it for a moment as if I expected the phone to give me the last bit of advice I needed to handle this. For a moment, I considered avoidance as a solution. But in too many ways, that silence would scream a lie I simply couldn't live with. How is cowering better than fighting the wrong fight?

So I made the call. Without judging her behavior or psychoanalyzing her into submission, I respectfully exerted my disappointment and offered an option to improve the relationship she claims to want with me. I explained the birthday incident sans the usual tone of trying to defend myself. Without blaming her, I gracefully laid out what I desire for her and my children:







  • Children shouldn't bear the weight of hearing their parents criticized. It isn't fair to them and it creates unnecessary rifts in the family.



  • Hearing an accusation against me from my child hurts and integrity says to approach the accused.



  • The fervent attack against me with little information, in my absence, turns an apparent misunderstanding into an unfortunate roadblock. And it hurts.



  • I expect the respect of a conversation before the fever-pitch of anger takes over.



  • I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to fight about these things, and your claim that "I get upset" is a function of the argumentative way you approach me with your opinion.



  • I want a peaceful relationship where I can come to you with girl talk instead of trying to avoid sharing with you.



And a miracle happened. She agreed. Not the bitterly angry agreement that gets thrown on the table to end a conversation. The inflection in her voice indicated she wants to do this differently.

She made her own request, "Don't lie to me. I want the truth." In fairness, I admitted that I simply don't tell her things to avoid her criticism, but I'll never look her in the face and lie. I went over a major issue she thinks I lie about, and for the first time since this problem started, we had a conversation that revealed things she simply didn't know about it.

I couldn't have asked for a better moment with her. For 10 minutes, I had the mother I always wanted, one who listened without criticizing, one who promised to value girl talk over controlling criticism.

I have no idea or preconceived fantasy about our relationship past this day. She may or may not keep her stated resolve about the way she communicates with (and about) me. The best part is IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. I did my due diligence in the way I chose to address her. I have to believe there's a reward, even if it's just keeping my blood pressure low, for acknowledging her right to do what the hell she wants.

Today was a win. Not because mom said she would do better... but because I left the decision up to her while guarding over my own integrity. That's freedom at its finest.




Photo lifted from this site for IFC Films.

2 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

I am glad that YOU had your epiphany to preserve your relationship with your Mom and more importantly, maintain your calm and dignity over your latest incident with your Mother.

Black women, in my opinion, are harder on each other than any other group. I think that because of the fracture in the male/female relationship leaves sisters all competing for the love of the black man (which is backwards, but that is a different conversation). The bitterness that some women maintain and cultivate over their failings often finds itself expressed through their dealings with the other women in their lives. And a daughter is no different and worse, is a captive audience.

The weird thing about this relationship is how ugly a pall it casts over the relationship and the daughter's future personal relationships. It seems the deeper the Mother's negative feelings towards black men (symbolized in her relationships with black men in her life) the more likely, IMO, the mistakes and errors are to be visited on the daughter in her relations with brothers.

If the relationship isn't altered by competition (trying to earn the love of a black men) or because it is more of a 'coach-player' relationship (like the one between Mother and Daughter), it is unnecessarily fierce and level of understanding is hard to come by. Not only does the Mother see her own mistakes but she is likely never to be able to address her own poor relations with men.

Like a Father forcing his son into decisions that he wished he had made as an athlete, I think women face the same kind of pressure to impose on their daughters when it comes to domestic issues and relationships.

Glad that you are finding a way to handle her outbursts and deal with the aftermath. Keep to your destination and try to counter her influence with your son by living the best way you can and showing him by example the best way to manage your relationships.

Her Side said...

Mark:

I SO agree with you that women become the unfortunate "captive audience" in their mothers' drama. I can only credit my father with my current attitude towards men. He was (and is) ever present, and I'm his precious baby. Because of him, I was able to recognize mom's dysfunction as something to avoid (and not emulate as a way of life). He even shared candid thoughts with me over the last few years, and explained why they remain married but live apart.

You reminded me of something I want to blog about, because you and I have communicated in the comments about this before.

Be well!

urcg42jm3k