Monday, March 8, 2010

Setbacks, Love, Patience, and DECISIONS

His Side spent a week in jail after the justice system saw fit to incarcerate him in a dangerous state prison for $200 overdue in child support payments. I spent that week fighting to get him out. I presented in court. I sidebarred with the prosecutor's office. I slept in my car in front of the prison. And miraculously, I drove away with him before sundown on that cold dismal day.

He was deeply and sincerely appreciative. But he couldn't avoid the setback that slowly crept into view. Old habits. Old ways. Anger. Bitterness. All directed at the wrong targets.

This came to a head during a very public and very embarrassing scene where I did. not. play the role of a patient friend. I was frustrated. I was hurt. And I was so done with it.

Any reasonable observer would have arrived at the same conclusion. But there's a side to this story that nobody knows. Well, not until now.

His Side experienced what I consider to be one of the most traumatic events a child can endure. By all professional accounts, his angry self-medicating behavior is almost a direct trace to that dark place in his history. The story is his to tell. I won't detail it here, but... He shared this with me years ago, and at the time, it explained e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. It was so difficult for him to share and sit before me in a puddle of his own tears. But for me... well... I already knew trauma with the only explanation. It didn't surprise me one bit. The only surprise was that he finally told somebody and that person was me.

But His Side missed an important step: He didn't get any help... and I couldn't help him. I was the only person who knew, and I was also the safe haven where he acted out. Walking away from the carnage was about the only wise choice I had.

Something quite different happened after this post-prison episode. He confided in his older cousin, who's been like a mother to him since his own mother's death. He said he was actually able to sleep that night - something he hadn't done in ages. After that, he called a doctor. In simple terms, he told the doctor he wants to stop hurting the person who has loved him the most. Dayum. He has new medical benefits and even better... a fvcking appointment.

For this I am proud of him. He's being true to his claim that watching himself spiral out of control hurts him because it hurts the people he loves. And right when I was ready to make a decision to trade our friendship over a setback, I was compelled to embrace him as he takes the wisest step he's taken so far.

Love's a bitch.

5 comments:

Shanel said...

your writing is amazing... I love it and yes love is a bitch... a a double edged sword...would love to read more from you.

Negril said...

It's always a good thing when one finally gets to the roots of their problems in order to work on them instead continually pruning the trees.

I pray that His Side finds the peace and stillness he needs to finally get the peace that's his to have.

I applaud you for standing firm throughout the entire ordeal.

Big Mark 243 said...

Damn. You are a special kind of woman. I have never had someone who would think to get my back like that.

One thing is for sure, you love him. I want to thank you for helping the brother out...

... and maybe after a time, who knows what y'all will end up being to each other?

Her Side said...

Shanel: Welcome to the blog, and I thank you for the compliment. Writing is a lifeline for me. I plan to visit your spot after I leave here for the night.

Negril: You know better than anybody here what a big move this is for His Side. I know I wouldn't want to take that step alone, and your support makes my day. We'll chat about this one during on of our catch-up sessions!

Big Mark: His Side doesn't let a day go by without thanking me for having his back. He readily admits he's never known a friend like that, and he returns the sentiment through his actions. That brotha is gonna be okay. Nobody knows the time or season, but I just know he'll eventually win this one.

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Love is a choice...always.

It is also a revolutionary act of courage. It is easy to stand with folks when all is well and good. But only loving people stand with you when the world world is crashing in. Being his friend is divine. He needs a friend and you need to be his friend.

Do what your heart calls you to do. And rest easy knowing that whatever you do...it will be enough.

urcg42jm3k